Monday, February 22, 2010

New Feature on the Sidebar

I have puzzled about what to do about educational TV shows on this blog. I can't possibly index every single episode, and most of them cover many topics.  These are, however, some of the best friends of homeschoolers (right up there with museums and libraries). The kids get to learn from the show, and then most of the educational TV shows have websites with follow up activities, games, and other educational content. HUGELY valuable, impossible for me to add to the library in any meaningful way.

My solution:


When I am designing specific lessons (like I am for Astronomy and Ancient Egypt right now), I will incorporate appropriate episodes from TV shows and podcasts.


When I run across an educational show, I will put up a post about it that won't appear in the index, but I will also put a link list on the sidebar of the blog listing educational shows (and their websites). That way, if you are creating a lesson on a topic, you can search out materials yourself, just like you can with the Repositories/Libraries list.

So if you don't often visit the blog itself, keep in mind that there are resources available there that might be of help to you when you are designing educational experiences for your kids.

No comments: